Sunday, May 27, 2012

4HB

I am about to reach that point I said I would not reach again. About 12 years ago I hit 240 pounds, and after meeting with nutritionist and working out with a personal trainer, I got my weight back in control and down to 170, and eventually figured my ideal weight is more like 180. I managed to keep that up for a while. Alas, about 5 years ago I tore an MCL in the winter, and later that spring I found out I had a compression fracture in my back, which acted up after I did strenuous exercise. In the meantime, I also quit smoking.

So little by little I've seen the weight inch up. Pound by pound. I've tried over and again to get it under control, not being quite successful each time. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I realized one thing: for the first time in five years I felt like a non-smoker. See, since I quit smoking I have wanted a cigarette almost daily. I could see myself smoking again. Yet I had that moment, when I could not see myself smoking again. It's just not me anymore. And that's when I realized - I have been focusing my energy and will-power on not smoking. Which is great. Now that *that* is taken care of, well, it's time to focus again on my weight and overall health and well-being.

A good friend mentioned The 4-Hour Body. Being that he's about my age and in fantastic shape I figured something's working for him, so I'll give it a try. I am reluctant - the methods and approach are different - but then again, in a strange way it all makes sense.
One of the things to do: keep track of everything. So yeah, you will have the dubious honor of seeing my body shots and progress as I take on this journey.

Looking at the photos blows my mind that I have reached this point. It's beyond vanity, I feel unhealthy, don't look the way I want. If I was ready before, seeing these photos has solidified my resolve this time around.

Starting weight: 225lbs Measurements:
Upper Arms (mid-bicep)
Right: 14"
Left:14 1/8"

Waist (at navel): 44"

Hips: 40 3/8"

Legs: (mid-thigh)
Right: 21 3/4"
Left: 21 1/2"

Total inches: 155 3/4"

Body fat: estimate over 30% based on photos

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment